Welcome to East Gwillimbury! Below is a list of links to help you find key information about the Town. Do you have questions or concerns that aren't addressed below? Use our search bar at the top of the page or email our Customer Service team.

Man holding credit card and phone
Online Services
Manage accounts, apply for licenses and pay your water, tax and other municipal bills online.
Waste at the curb for collection
Waste Collection
Never miss a collection day by downloading the Recycle Coach app!
Adults doing yoga
Activities and Recreation
EG offers a variety of exciting activities for all ages, all year round.
Cars parked on the street
Our priority is to ensure safety for vehicles, bikes and pedestrians.
Bunker gear on fire truck
Fire and Emergency Services
Find information on EG's fire department, emergency preparedness, and fire safety.
Council Chambers microphone
Council and Wards
Find your Ward Councillor, the next Council meeting, or past minutes and agendas.
People sitting on lawn by stage
Town Events
We have many spectacular events for everyone to enjoy throughout the year.
People having a street party
Community Events
Find or submit community events to our Community Events Calendar.
EG news on phone and laptop
Stay Connected
Follow us on social media or subscribe to our weekly eNewsletter.
Front of a home
Property Taxes and Utility Bills
Find more information about e-billing, our self serve portal, property taxes and water and sewer bills.
Nokiida Trail drone shot
Parks and Trails
EG is home to various parklands and trails with more than 40 parks, gardens, and sports fields.
Inside the library
East Gwillimbury Public Library
Visit one of East Gwillimbury's two library locations for events, activities, books and more.

Newly Built Homes

The below information is designed for residents who are purchasing a newly built home. A copy of this guide is provided to each new home owner at occupancy by the builder. You can also view the pdf copy here. Please note, for an accessible version of the information please refer to the below information. 

Moving In

When you finally move into your new home, here’s what you can typically expect:

  • The developer and builder will continue their work around your property as your lot grading and sodding may not be complete and other homes may still be under construction
  • The builder is still responsible to keep roads clear and safe for traffic including cars, garbage trucks, and for service, delivery and emergency vehicles
  • The Town is responsible for snow removal and garbage pickup
  • Construction of neighbourhood parks may still be in progress
  • Sidewalks may not be completed
  • Maintenance may be required for underground infrastructure so be aware of work crews inspecting sewers and flushing hydrants
  • Completion of curbs and final road paving are one of the final steps prior to Town acceptance and the start of the maintenance period
  • Other lots within the subdivision may be under construction or vacant when you move in

The Town is clear about its expectations of developers’ site maintenance. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Town.

Living in a Construction Zone

All new subdivisions have nuisances pertaining to noise, traffic, dust and debris. As these can be an annoyance to homeowners, the Town requires the developer/builder to minimize them wherever possible.
Homeowners are asked to have patience and contact their builder regarding any concerns.


There are several important documents you should review when buying a new home. These documents and plans will help familiarize you with your new home and neighbourhood. They may include legal jargon and it may be helpful to have your solicitor review the documents with you.

Subdivision Agreement

A subdivision agreement is a legal document that clearly states the developer’s obligations to the municipality for construction of roads, sewers, watermains, parks, open spaces and other services in your subdivision. Purchasers are urged to review these agreements with their solicitor, especially the warning clauses and special conditions, before signing purchase documents.

Warning Clauses

Warning clauses alert new homeowners to specific items related to their subdivision. These may include noise, environmental restrictions, use of public spaces, etc. Agreements of purchase and sale for new homes will include clauses to point out these items.

Utility Plans

Utility plans include above-ground structures associated with utilities and services such as electrical transformers, telephone pedestals, community mailboxes, and streetlights. This information should be posted in the subdivision sales office once available. For inquiries regarding community mailboxes, please contact Canada Post at 1-866-607-6301. For information about cable TV boxes, or internet, please contact a local service provider. For all other inquiries please ask your builder.

Grading and Site Plans

Grading plans outline the change in grade or elevation for the site. A grading plan of your specific lot is available at the sales office. These plans are helpful because your property may appear flat when in fact it could include slopes or drainage features such as:

  • Swales – shallow grassed drainage channels with gently sloping sides to collect and direct storm water
  • Retaining walls – structures that hold back soil and replace undesired steep slopes
  • Slopes – a vertical rise or fall. For example, in the grading plan shown, it may not be obvious from the overhead view (figure 1) that there is a drop of 2 meters in the grade of the property. This only becomes clear when you see an elevation view (figure 2). Elevation plans may not always be available, however, the developer should be able to describe this to you based on the grading plan. Many factors may be important in your purchasing decision and we recommend that you learn as much as you can about the property before you buy it.

Figure 1 (slopes - vertical rise or fall)
Figure 1
 Figure 2 (elevation view)

Figure 2

What Will be in my Neighbourhood?

When you buy a home in an established community you can drive around the neighbourhood and see what services and community features you will have access to. If you are buying a home in a new subdivision some of these features may not have been built yet. Here are a few things to consider when purchasing your new home:

  • Roads
    Is the property located near a highway or collector road (which connects one major road to another) and what are the anticipated traffic and noise implications?
  • Street Parking
    What will the street look like when cars are parked on it?
  • Sidewalks
    Will you have a sidewalk on your side of the street? Remember this may affect parking in your driveway. 
  • Street Lighting
    Are street lights planned to be located in front of your home? Will lighting spill into front rooms of your house and, if so, will that be an issue?
  • Parks and Trails
    Are any parks or trails planned nearby? Are you alright with increased foot traffic nearby?
  • Postal Service
    Will there be a community mailbox in your neighbourhood? If so, where will it be located?
  • Proposed Future Land-Use
    Will there be future developments, highways, and or hydro transmission lines? (Be sure to ask about any vacant properties. Don’t assume they will not be developed.)
  • Existing/Proposed Transit Routes
    Is the property located on a transit route? Where will bus shelters be located?
  • Existing/Proposed Schools
    Will you be within walking distance of a school? Are you prepared for busy pick up and drop off times?
  • Street Trees
    Are trees planned for the boulevard? If so, how would this affect any landscaping plans you might have?
Questions You May Have

When Will I Get a Tax Bill?Timeline of Tax Bills

You are responsible for taxes on both the land and building(s) you own from the date you take possession. However, assessment on a newly built home will not happen immediately. Supplementary bills can occur up to three years after the date of purchase. The process looks like:

  1. You (the new homeowner) purchases your new home from a builder. The builder is responsible for all taxes on the assessed land.
  2. The builder will pay the necessary tax bills on the assessed land only while the home is under construction. The buildings won't be assessed until they are complete.
  3. Once an occupancy permit has been issued and you take possession the builder will transfer the land to you. You are now responsible for all tax bills related to this property. At this time tax bills will continue to be based on the value of the land as the house has not yet been assessed by MPAC.
  4. MPAC will receive a notification that the home is complete and that they need to assess the house. It can then take up to 36 months for MPAC to assess the property and provide the information to the Town.
  5. Once the Town receives the assessment information from MPAC a supplementary tax bill will be issued.* Supplementary bills will include the assessed value from the date you took possession and may also reflect any increase in taxes resulting from additions or improvements to your property such as a pool, deck or finished basement.
*This bill is usually due within 30 to 60 days of the issue date. Depending on the size of your home, the time between when you took possession and when MPAC updates your assessment and when the Town issues your bill this could be thousands of dollars. The Town may be able to help you set up a payment schedule to minimize the impact of this bill. Please call 905-478-4282 to learn more.
How do I Set up my Water Bill?
Municipal drinking water is supplied by York Region and delivered to homes by the Town. The water meter on your new home should already be installed by the builder before you take ownership. Please visit www.eastgwillimbury.ca/OnlineServices to create an account where you can manage and pay your water bill online. Once you become responsible for ongoing water payments, your meter will be read at the end of each month by the Town and you will receive a bill. 
Save Time, Pay Online
Residents can access their tax and water bills online via the Town’s online portal! Register to:
  • View bills, account balances and transactions
  • Receive your tax and water bills via email
  • Pay online (A service charge by the credit card processing company, independent of the Town, will be charged)
Visit www.eastgwillimbury.ca/OnlinePortal and use the 5-digit access code on your tax and water bills to log in.

Understanding Your Water Bill

The charges on your bill include both metered and delivery charges. Metered charges are based on water usage. Delivery charges pay to maintain proper infrastructure such as water and wastewater pipes. The water and sewer bills for each area are billed monthly. Payments can be made at your bank, by cash, cheque or debit. the Town does not accept credit card payments for water bills unless payment is made through the Town’s secure Online portal. A service charge by the credit card processing company, independent of the Town, will be charged.See below for more information about the pre-authorized payment plans.

For current usage and delivery rates please visit:

Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Plans

The Town offers two prepaid methods of paying your water bill.

  1. 12 Month Plan - a pre-determined amount is withdrawn from your bank account on the 19th of each month for 12 months.
  2. Auto Withdrawal Plan - the monthly bill amount is withdrawn automatically from your bank account on the bill due date.

Applications for both plans are available at customer service or on our website.

The Importance of Streetscape

There are architectural control guidelines for all new homes. These guidelines may affect the model, elevation, colour and finish that is permitted on specific lots. The Town also has guidelines for such things as light standards, bench locations, street trees, street signs and park entry features. These ensure that there is variety in the neighbourhood for an attractive streetscape.

What Schools Are Nearby?

Please contact the appropriate board of education for information regarding schools and busing. School locations and potential sites are determined by each school board. It is important to note that future schools identified on maps or signs in subdivisions are not guaranteed to be built.

Where Can I Buy Green Bins and Recycling Bins?

As a buyer of a newly built home you will be provided with one blue bin, one green bin and one kitchen catcher from your builder upon closing. Additional bins are available for purchase at the Civic Centre. If you did not receive your bins, please contact your builder.

Where Does My Water Come From?

York Region provides the Town with clean, treated drinking water which is a combination of groundwater (deep aquifer wells) and surface water (Lake Ontario). The Town then assumes responsibility for the safe distribution and delivery to residents. For more information on water in EG, visit
www.eastgwillimbury.ca/waterfaqs, or visit www.york.ca to learn about water quality and monitoring.

What is My Municipal Address?

Municipal addresses are assigned at the time the subdivision is registered and they can’t be changed. If you do not want to live in a home with a particular number, you will need to consider this before you purchase. Remember to post your municipal number immediately upon taking possession to avoid delays for emergency vehicles reaching you. Ensuring that your address is visible from the street can save time in the event of an emergency.

When Can I Move In?

You can move into your new home once you have finalized your closing in accordance with your agreement of purchase and sale with the builder, and the Town issues an occupancy permit. Be aware that some work may still need to be done to your house such as flooring, countertops, faucets, caulking, exterior decks, railings, steps or grass. Once all outstanding items are complete, a final inspection will occur and a final occupancy permit will be issued. If you have concerns regarding the completion of your home, contact your builder and/or solicitor.

Keep in Touch With Your Builder

At the time you sign your agreement of purchase and sale, all neighbourhood design details may not be decided. Keep in touch with your builder to make sure you’re informed about any changes after you sign. Changes could include the dimensions of your lot, drainage patterns, the position of your home on the property, location of retaining walls and noise fencing, etc.

Deficiencies in Your New Home

Once you have taken possession of your new home, TARION (the New Home Warranty Program) provides warranty protection. Provincial law requires that every new home in Ontario is protected by a mandatory warranty provided by the builder and backed by TARION.

Your builder is responsible for any deficiencies in your new home. If you have concerns, first give your builder a chance to act on these concerns. Then, if the builder fails to respond, notify TARION and request assistance. There are one and two year warranties for certain defects in work and materials and a seven year warranty for major structural defects. It is important to record all complaints in writing to both your builder and Tarion.

Ensure that all communication with your builder is documented and forward copies to TARION to be placed in your file. Do not rely on verbal communication with site personnel, trades people or the builder. Construction performance guidelines are available at www.tarion.com, describing the standard to which construction that is covered by the warranty program must be completed.
Please note there are strict time limits within which written complaints must be made to TARION. You are also urged to discuss the complaint process with your solicitor.

Who is Responsible?
As a new homeowner it is important to understand who is responsible for the different services and structures in your subdivision.


  • Grading and drainage of the subdivision
  • Perimeter fencing around the subdivision
  • Installation of sewers, watermains, and stormwater management ponds
  • Construction of roads, curbs and sidewalks
  • Coordination of installation of utilities (hydro, gas, telephone and cable)
  • Installation of street lighting
  • Initial landscaping of public areas, including street trees
  • Construction of privacy and acoustic fencing
  • Road maintenance (prior to assumption)
  • Home construction
  • Lot grading and sodding
  • Driveway paving (subject to your agreement of purchase and sale)
  • Managing construction debris and construction traffic during development
  • Road maintenance (after assumption)*
  • Snow removal
  • Garbage pick-up
  • Street trees (after assumption)
  • Parks and trails (after assumption)
  • Building permits
  • Parking and by-law enforcement
  • Emergency Services
*About 40% of the roads in East Gwillimbury are owned and maintained by York Region. If you have any roads-related questions, we suggest you call the Town first and we will advise you if you will need to contact the Region.

  • Understanding the terms of your agreement of purchase and sale
  • Proper maintenance of your lot
  • Landscaping and fencing once lot grading is complete and sod is established
  • Checking with the Town prior to making any changes to your property (this will ensure relevant permits are obtained and complied with)
  • Maintaining working smoke alarms and knowing two ways out of every room in the event of an emergency
Improving Your Property

You should contact the Town before you begin landscaping or install fencing, sheds, decks or pools. Discuss these changes with staff to ensure that you have the permissions you require and to ensure that all Town standards and regulations are met.


Refer to your agreement of purchase and sale to determine who is responsible for paving your driveway and when it may be done. Once your driveway is paved, if you wish to expand or refinish the driveway, please contact the Town to determine permitted locations and maximum widths. Approval from the Town’s Development Engineering Branch is required for any proposed expansion.


Every builder will have rules regarding pool installation prior to assumption and homeowners should read their agreement of purchase and sale for these details. Until the subdivision is assumed by the Town, the developer is responsible for all lot grading and drainage which may be affected by the installation of a pool. During this period, a pool permit cannot be issued without the written consent of your developer and/or builder. If the developer and builder agree to allow a pool, you will need to apply for a permit from the Town to construct the pool and you will also be required to safely secure the property with appropriate fencing and gates. If access to Town land is needed, please speak with the Town’s Development Engineering Branch about the required permit.

Sheds and Decks

To determine if you require a building permit, please contact the Town’s Building Branch and speak with a Permit Coordinator. Any alterations to grade must conform to the requirements of the Town and must not impact the overall drainage patterns in the area. Do not landscape, erect fencing, or construct decks or sheds that may alter the grading and/or drainage on your lot or that of a neighbouring lot without first obtaining approval from the developer (prior to assumption) or from the Town (after assumption). Detached sheds with an area of 10m2 or less do not require a building permit. However, the shed location and height must conform to the Town zoning by-law. If you don’t get the required approvals, you might be required to dismantle unpermitted sheds and decks at your own expense.

Accessory Apartments

The Town permits one accessory apartment in single detached and semi-detached residential units, provided certain criteria, such as sufficient parking spaces and municipal servicing, are satisfied. In addition, apartments must be located at least 50% above grade (i.e. basement apartments are prohibited). In order to understand all applicable regulations and policies, it is important to consult with the Town prior to establishing an accessory apartment. All accessory apartments must be registered and inspected by the Town. This ensures that proposed apartments meet health, safety and zoning requirements under the building code, fire code, zoning by-law and property standards by-law. Registering two-unit names also provides critical information to Emergency Services trying to locate an apartment in the event of an emergency.

Street Trees

The developer is responsible for the installation of street trees. The species and locations of the trees are determined by the Town. Planting takes place in the spring or fall after the sod has been laid by the builder. The spacing and location of the trees vary and not every lot will receive a municipal street tree. For street tree issues that cannot be addressed by the developer you can contact the Town’s Parks Branch.

Grading, Sodding and Unfinished Exterior Work

Homeowners must not alter lot grading without permission from the developer (prior to assumption), or from the Town (after assumption). If you intend on carrying out any approved landscaping or grade alteration, ensure water is not inadvertently directed toward your home’s foundation. Prior to subdivision assumption, issues of improper drainage or water ponding remain the responsibility of the developer. If you need assistance you can call the Town’s Development Engineering Branch.

Sodding of your lot might not be carried out until months after construction of the home to allow the disturbed soil to settle. It may also be delayed due to seasonal planting conditions and availability of sod. Contact your builder to find out when exterior work will be finished.

A professional engineer working on behalf of the developer must certify the final grading of lots to ensure it satisfies the drainage plan approved by the Town. This certification takes place after the property has been graded and sodded.

New Sod

The Town has a by-law which allows residents to conduct outdoor watering every other day from May 15 to September 30. Houses with odd numbers may water outdoors on odd numbered days of the month and even house numbers may only use water outdoors on even numbered days of the month. Watering is allowed from 6 to 10 a.m. and 6 to 10 p.m. on odd/even days. When you receive your new sod, there is a one-month grace period which allows you to water new sod/seed every day. The municipality and Region reserve the right to introduce a water use ban during a water shortage. This will be posted on the Town’s website and shared with residents if applicable.

New Tree Plantings

The Town plants new trees in the fall and spring. These trees will have mulch placed around them to protect the trees as they grow. The mulch may not be removed from the base for any reason. Residents should keep the soil moist but not saturated. No gardens or planters may be placed around the base of the tree as this can affect the ability for the tree to properly grow. These trees are under warranty with the contractor for two years, however no alterations can be made to the planting site. For more information about trees or tree plantings, visit www.eastgwillimbury.ca/trees.


Developers usually install acoustic fencing and corner lot screen fencing where required for noise attenuation. Additional fencing is installed by the developer to delineate public areas such as parks, walkways, natural areas and in some instances stormwater management ponds.

Fencing on individual properties is not mandatory and may be done at the discretion and cost of the property owner. The homeowner should coordinate with the builder to ensure that the grading is complete and that there are no unresolved drainage issues. A permit is not required for property fencing, although it must conform to Town by-laws. The Town’s By-law Branch can provide information on height and approved materials. The Town does not get involved in
cost-sharing or property line disputes.

Boulevard By-Law

The Town has a by-law that regulates acceptable planting/landscaping and locations that can be used on municipal boulevards. Read the By-Law.

If you are new to EG, York Region or Canada, check out the following links: