Property tax and water bill payments

Can I get an extension to pay my property taxes or water bill?

Due dates for property tax and water bills remain as normal timelines indicated on the bill.  

If you have concerns regarding the ability to pay your bill please contact the Tax and Water staff.

The Town office is closed, how can I make my payments?

While the office is closed, residents and businesses can make their payments through their financial institution’s online banking*, by mail or the Town’s drop box located outside of Civic Centre (19000 Leslie Street, Sharon, Ontario L0G 1V0).

Tax Certificate requests and other correspondence can be emailed to Customer Service, mailed to the Town office or placed in the Town's drop box located outside of the Civic Centre.

For more information email Customer Service or call 905-478-4282.

*For property tax payments, the payee name is ‘East Gwillimbury Taxes’ and your account number is your 19-digit property roll number with no spaces or decimals and can be found in the upper left corner of your property tax bill.

*For paying your water account your payee name is ‘East Gwillimbury Utilities’ or ‘East Gwillimbury Water’ and your account number is the 12-digit number which is located in the upper right corner of your water bill.

If you need to discuss other payment arrangements for your account based on your specific circumstances, please contact our Finance Department directly.

am paying through installments and have sent in post dated cheques; how will I be affected?

Although, we are not able to cancel cheques that have already been processed, requests to withdraw post dated cheques on file for future payments can be made to the Town. Requests to withdraw post dated cheques should be made by emailing Customer Service

I am on a pre-authorized payment plan (PAP), how will I be affected?

The Town is continuing with the PAP withdrawals as normal, unless directed by the account owner.

If you can pay your property taxes or water bills by the regular due date as indicated on the bill, please continue to do so.

If you wish to withdraw from the PAP program, please indicate this by sending an email to the Finance Department. 

If I withdraw from the Pre-authorized Payment Plan, can I return to the plan later?

You can re-enroll in the Pre-authorized Payment Plan at any time by contacting our Town staff

Tax summaries

Tax Summaries are still available for purchase during the closure of Town facilities. There is a fee of $10.90 for this document and payment can be made via the drop box or by e-mail. You can also access this information at no charge through the Self Serve portal. Details can be found on our Property Taxes and Water/ Sewer Billing page. 

  • Dropbox: Include your written request in writing and cheque (for $10.90) in an envelope with your name, phone number and email address. We will e-mail you the tax summary (your e-mail address must contain the name on the tax account) or we can mail it to the address that your tax bill goes to.
  • Email: To complete a payment using your credit card, complete the Credit Card Authorization Form. Please email your completed form to Customer Service for processing.

    Please note that the Credit Card Authorization Form may only be used for specific payments, including printing tax summaries, fire permits or dog tags. Debit Visa cards are not accepted. For assistance on other payments please email Customer Service or call 905-478-4282.Your e-mail address must contain the name on the tax account.

Waste collection

Is curbside waste collection still taking place?

EG waste collection will continue as scheduled. Residents are reminded to place their waste at the curb by 7 a.m. to ensure collection. To verify your collection day visit the Collection Calendar

Can I still place large items out for collection? 

Please hold off on disposing large bulky items until regular garbage collection resumes.

How should I dispose disinfecting wipes, baby wipes and paper towels?

Disinfectant wipes and baby wipes belong in the garbage and paper towels belong in the green bin. Don’t flush these items in the toilet as this will cause sewer blockages which may lead to a sewer back-up of your house. To search how to properly dispose items, please use York Region’s Bindicator Tool.

Are York Region Waste Depots open?

All York Region Waste depots are operated by York Region. Please visit to check the status of waste depots. 

Can I still make textile donations at Diabetes Canada bins?

Textile donations are currently being accepted at all Diabetes Canada donation box locations. EG now has a Diabetes Canada donation box located at the East Gwillimbury Sports Complex, in the east parking lot. For more information, please visit the Diabetes Canada website.

Parks and trails

All outdoor park amenities are available for use by individuals or members from the same household. Physical distancing is required, and face masks are recommended.   

By-law and park staff will be visiting Town parks to remind residents of public health directives such as social distancing. To submit a complaint please send an email to the Bylaw Department.


The Town has a year-round three hour parking by-law. Visit the Parking By-law page to learn more.

Building permit applications

Building permit applications can be submitted electronically, for further details please see our Building Permits page. Please email any inquiries to our building department. Please note we are experiencing a higher than normal volume of permits and inquiries, which may result in a delay in response time. 

Building inspections

Inspection services for all building projects will continue. To request an inspection, please send us an email. The Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code are still in effect and construction without a permit is prohibited. Prescribed building inspections are still required to be scheduled, including occupancy inspections. 

Planning applications

Planning applications continue to be accepted, please contact Planning staff to make arrangements for any submissions. Staff continue to work with applicants and respond to all inquiries. Please send any inquiries and contact the Planning Department

Fire burning permits

Fire permits are available for purchase during the closure of Town facilities. To obtain a fire permit, please visit our Fire Burning Permits page and complete the fire permit application form. Forms can be submitted via Town’s dropbox located outside of the Civic Centre or by email.

  • Dropbox: Include your completed application form and cheque (for $37.80) in an envelope with your name, phone number and email address.

Local business support

If you are a local business, the Town’s Economic Development team has gathered additional information and resources for you, please visit our COVID-19 Business Support page for more information.

What is happening with animal services?

The community is reminded that having a plan in place for their pets is critical. Individuals who become sick or require hospitalization will need to have someone to take care of their animals.

The Georgina Animal Shelter and Adoption Centre appreciates donations, however, at this time we ask residents to hold on to them for now until the centre re-opens to the public. Any donations left at the door will have to be disposed of as it is not known who or where they came from.

Resources for additional information:

Wi-fi access hotspots

East Gwillimbury residents and visitors can enjoy free internet access outside of the Civic Centre, Holland Landing Community Centre, and Ross Family Complex. Signage and barricades have been installed at each facility that identify the location of the Wi-Fi access areas within each parking lot. Those interested in connecting to the Wi-Fi hotspots must park in one of the designated parking spots to successfully connect to the internet to ensure social distancing.

The Wi-Fi hotspots can be accessed within 12 meters at the following locations:

  • Civic Centre - front entrance visitor parking spaces
  • Holland Landing Community Centre - front entrance facing the windows
  • Ross Family Complex - front entrance facing the windows

How do I report physical distancing concerns?

To report physical distancing concerns in residential homes please contact York Regional Police at their non-emergency number at 1-866-876-5423. If the complaint is in relation to a municipal facility or business please complete the online By-law Complaint Form

Community support

It’s important that we get together and help those in need in our community. Here’s how you can donate to our local Food Pantry’s: 

  • The East Gwillimbury Food Pantry takes place on the last Saturday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Holland Landing Community Centre - lower level
  • Donations for the East Gwillimbury Food Pantry can be made by visiting Please include “Food Pantry” in the message field. 
  • The Mount Albert Food Bank takes place on the last Wednesday of the month at the Mount Albert United Church. Hours of operation very, please visit their website or Facebook page to for updated information.
  • The Mount Albert Food Bank is accepting monetary donations by mail to Mount Albert United Church, 41 Alice St. Mt. Albert, Ontario, L0G 1M0. 
  • Second Chance Clothing Depot & Food Cupboard takes place every Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to noon at St. James the Apostle Anglican Church.
  • Donations can be dropped off in the donation box beside the house at St. James the Apostle Anglican Church.
  • The Women’s Support Network (WSN) has launched a Practical Assistance Program to assist vulnerable at-risk youth that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The WSN program will relive stress associated with accessing goods and supports during COVID-19, including food bank resources, fresh produce, and essential store vouchers.
  • If you or someone you know requires this type of assistance, please email the Women's Support Network. 

Hall rentals

During the April 2021 emergency brake no permits will be permitted in Town facilities. For more information about our facilities please, visit the Facility and Rentals page.  

Facilities/ recreation centres

During the current provincewide emergency break, indoor recreation facilities will be closed for programs, permits and public access including the Sports Complex, Holland Landing Community Centre and Ross Family Complex. Ice programs and permits have been cancelled and participants will be contacted via email and refunds issued. 

The library will modify its services to include contactless curbside pick-up, one-hour in-library computer use, printing and photocopying services. The library’s capacity limit will remain at five and anyone entering the facility will perform screening and contact tracing.

East Gwillimbury Public Library

The Library is offering curbside pick-up, one-hour in-library computer use, printing and photocopying services. The library’s capacity limit will remain at five and anyone entering the facility will perform screening and contact tracing.

With no in-library browsing, customers are encouraged to place items on hold through their online account, the EGPL app, or by calling the branch for assistance. If residents are not sure what you want to read, they can participate in the “Borrow a Book Bundle” and let the library choose something for them. Each book bundle contains five carefully chosen titles selected by one of the library’s knowledgeable staff. 

For more information visit the East Gwillimbury Public Library website. 

Start Now!