The By-law Enforcement Department is responsible for the enforcement of all Municipal By-laws and some government regulations such as the Provincial Offences Act, Municipal Act, Building Code Act, Planning Act, Dog Owners Liability Act, and Weed Control Act.

By-law enforcement staff work with the community to educate and enforce by-laws and to protect the welfare, health, and safety of our residents. By-law staff are also available as a resource if you have questions or concerns relating to by-laws or other enforcement issues in East Gwillimbury (EG).

By-law Enforcement Department

Email the By-law Enforcement Department or please call 905-478-4282. 

Common by-laws

If you require any of our by-laws in an accessible format, please contact Customer Service.

By-law concerns/complaints

By-law related concerns can be reported to the Town by filling out our Online By-law Complaint Form (paper copies of the form are available at the Civic Centre), by mail or by email. Please note that all concerns must include your contact information, name, address, and phone number, for the concern to be investigated. Personal information collected is intended to be used for the investigation and related activities, and for follow up about your complaint, if necessary. All information collected is subject to the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. EG considers a complainant to be a confidential source in respect to municipal law enforcement matters and every effort will be made to protect the identity of the complainant. 

Business licences

Business Licences are required for all refreshment vehicles, salvage yards and taxi operations within the boundaries of EG

For application and information on taxi licensing please contact the By-law Department.

Sign permits

Sign permits are required for all signs.

Wall signs that are affixed to the wall of a structure may require a Building Permit issued by the Building department. Ground signs may also require a Building Permit.

Illegal Dumping

There is a cost to illegal dumping. The impacts of illegal dumping include the cost of staff time to remove the items and clean the area, the cost to the environment and the cost to EG’s beautiful spaces.  

There are two options to dispose of excess waste. 

  1. Take the items to a waste depot. See a complete list of waste depots in York Region. 

  2. Use a bag tag which allows you to put out more than two articles of waste per collection week. Collection tags can be purchased at the Civic Centre or Sports Complex Customer Service desks during regular business hours. New this year, each household can pick up five FREE collection tags for the 2024 year. 

Unlawful dumping provisions are captured under by-law 2018-084 Section 4 and every person who is found guilty of an offence [through investigation] under this By-law could be subject to the following penalties: (a) upon a first conviction, liable to a fine of not less than $250.00 and not more than $50,000.00.

Noxious weeds

The main purpose of the Weed Control Act, R.S.O. 1990 is to reduce the impact of noxious weeds on the industries of agriculture and horticulture. Primarily, this Act applies to agricultural and horticultural lands and excludes lawns, gardens and private areas for personal enjoyment and leisure.

Under the Weed Control Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter W5, sections 3, 13, 16 and 23 you are requested to destroy all noxious weeds on your property.

In Urban Areas

Sections 3, 13, 16 and 18 of the Weed Control Act do not apply to noxious weeds or weed seeds that are a sufficient distance from land used for agricultural or horticultural purposes, as they do not interfere with that purpose.

All properties within the municipality of EG are hereby requested to follow the Weed Control Act.

Motorized snow vehicles

See By-law 2021-099 for the regulations on the operation of motorized snow vehicles within the Town of East Gwillimbury (EG).

Please remember:

  • No Person shall drive, cause, or allow a motorized snow vehicle to be driven on a sidewalk within the territorial limits of EG, except for the purpose of directly crossing the sidewalk.
  • No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle on Municipal property at any time. The exception being where there is a written agreement in place with the Town.

Pool Enclosures

All pools, hot tub, and whirlpools with a depth of more than 24 inches of water and is used or capable of being used for swimming or bathing must have a permit prior to being installed. 


Learn more about firework safety and permits for display of theatrical fireworks. 

Firearm discharge

The Firearm Discharge Bylaw regulates the discharge of firearms within the Town of East Gwillimbury in order to keep our community safe.

The Firearm Discharge Bylaw 2023-040 states that:

no person shall discharge a firearm or a bow in the Town upon lands within the Regulated Area:

  • On privately owned lands, without first obtaining the expressed permission or the owner or occupier of the lands,
  • Except on lands having an area of at least 2.02 hectares (5 acres) in size;
  • On or within 150 m of a park, an education facility, or a religious institution;
  • Within 100 m of any building or structure whether occupied or not, unless the owner or occupier of the lands has provided their expressed permission to do so;
  • Within 16 metres of a highway or public trail, and;
  • Property owned by the Town unless otherwise posted.

Please refer to the map for prohibited areas.

Exceptions may apply in some instances, for more information please refer to Bylaw 2023-040.

Please note that all relevant Federal and Provincial Regulations pertaining to firearms must be complied with, including but not limited to the Canada Criminal Code, Firearms Act, and the Ontario Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act. 

An amendment to Ontario Regulation 663/98 under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act has been made to permit Sunday gun hunting in the Town of East Gwillimbury, effective September 1, 2023.  Accordingly, the ministry’s Sunday gun hunting webpage will be updated to reflect this change.

For information on Hunting, Hunting Seasons or obtaining Hunting Licences, contact the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry.


View all EG by-laws and find what you are looking for!