The Town of East Gwillimbury (EG) requires anyone interested in having an outdoor fire (to burn brush, stumps, tree limbs, logs, or for recreational purposes) to obtain a fire permit.

Fires burned in chimineas (free-standing fireplaces popular for backyard entertainment), are classified under the Ontario Fire Code as open fires, which means you need a permit from the Town. Anyone burning in a barrel or other approved container must also have a permit.

The Town’s Burn By-law 2002-20 outlines when, where and types of open air burning that is permitted outdoors in EG. Before you burn, please review the by-law and information below.

Fees for fire permits
Permit typeCost (for calendar year) 
Recreational Fire Permit  $43.70
Open Air Burn Permit  $43.70
Oversized Fire Permit  $217.00 to $633.70

Who can purchase a fire permit?

If you rent your property and want to buy a fire permit, you must have the permit signed by the property owner or attach a letter or email of approval from the owner of the property.

Recreational fire permits

Recreational fires are small outdoor fires that are used for cooking, warming fires and bonfires.

How do I obtain a recreational fire permit?
To obtain a recreational fire permit, visit the recreational fire permit page.
  • Maximum size of 2 feet x 2 feet.
  • The fire must be away from anything that may burn or melt.
  • Fires are only permitted between 4 p.m. of one day to 1 a.m. the following day.
  • You must have a readily available means of extinguishing the fire.

Open air burn permits 

Open air burn permits are required when burning bush, stumps, tree limbs or logs. 

How do I obtain an open air burn permit?

To purchase a permit, please follow these steps:

  1. Complete the Fire Permit Application
  2. Drop the completed application off at Customer Service or use the dropbox after hours, located at the east/front entrance of the Civic Centre. You can pay at Customer Service or if using the dropbox, you must also include a cheque for $43.70 in an envelope with your name, phone number and email address.
  • The fire pit must be 10 metres (32.8 feet) away from any building, structure, hedge, fence constructed of material that may burn or melt, or any obstruction of any kind whatsoever that may burn or melt. 
  • The fire can be one cubic meter (3 feet) in size and there must be a way of putting out the fire, easily accessible, always. 
  • Fires are permitted half an hour prior to sunrise, half an hour after sunset.
  • You must have a readily available means of extinguishing the fire.

Oversized fire permits

This permit requires an inspection and approval from Emergency and Community Safety Services. 

How do I obtain an oversized fire permit?

To purchase a permit, please follow these steps:

  1. Complete the Fire Permit Application
  2. Drop the application off at the Civic Centre dropbox, located at the east/front entrance of the Civic Centre. 


  1. Email the completed Fire Permit Application form to Customer Service.

Staff will contact you to schedule an inspection. 

The fee for your permit will be determined after your inspection with Emergency and Community Safety Services. Payment can be made by cheque or by visiting Customer Service located at the Civic Centre. When dropping off your payment, please label a envelope with your name, phone number and email address.

Activate your fire permit

  • You must phone (905) 478-3885, a recording will ask for your fire permit number, name, address and telephone number.
  • This answering system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 
  • Each day you wish to burn you must phone (905) 478-3885 to activate your Fire Permit. 
  • If you do not call our answering system and supply the requested information you will be burning without a Fire Permit and charged accordingly. 

To report a non-emergency burning concern, please contact Richmond Hill Fire Non-Emergency/ Dispatch Centre at 905-883-5450 ext. 5.

Be a good neighbour

Obtaining authorization to have an open-air fire does not relieve an owner from their obligation to follow the Environmental Protection Act of Ontario. While burning, it is your obligation to ensure that smoke and odor does not interfere with the ability of neighbours to enjoy their property or conduct their business. Watch where your smoke travels and do not burn when there are smog alerts, foggy conditions or wind that will carry your smoke in a direction that will disrupt nearby roadways or properties.