Learn about Town of East Gwillimbury's (EG) water meters, and upgrade program by reading the frequently asked questions below:

Water Meters

Get familiar with your home water meters!

How does the water meter work?

East Gwillimbury uses positive displacement water meters so customers can be assured that volumes billed accurately represents the water usage in the home.

The Town uses two different water meters; one is read by way of an external wall mounted touch pad and the second uses radio frequency remote reading.

Water meters are tested to ensure compliance with the American Water Works Standard for Cold-Water Meters before each meter leaves the factory.

Old Water Meter    Old Water Meter


Positive displacement water meters accurately measure water by filling a chamber on one side of the meter which then spins and discharges water on the other side of the meter. This spinning action is registered on the meter and reflected on the water bill. Water must flow through the meter for the register to change.

An analogy would be holding a bucket below a tap, filling it, then quickly replacing it with another bucket and recording the total number of buckets for the totalized flow.

Why is my water bill so high?

Here are some reasons why your bill may be higher than previous billing periods:

  • The Town adjusts water rates effective April first of each year. This ensures the Town's drinking water system is financially sustainable in accordance with provincial regulations. The water rates include the purchase of water from York Region, operating and maintenance costs as well as any capital expenditures and life-cycle replacements of the water system infrastructure.
  • Season fluctuations along with outdoor water usage are another source of increased water consumption.
  • Faulty equipment such as a leaking toilet tank, regenerating water softener or running an exterior garden hose can result in a higher-than-expected water bill.

Please note: Only the water that runs through the water meter is reflected on your water bill.

When am I billed for water consumption in my home?

Water consumption is recorded approximately every 90 days by our water meter-reader personnel. If the water meter was unable to be read a notice is left on your door requesting that you contact the Town to investigate the cause and to make repairs.

This water consumption (in cubic metres – M3) of water is then billed to the property owner quarterly based upon the rates in effect during the billing period.

What is a cubic metre (M3) of water?

A cubic metre (M3) of water is 1,000 litres of potable, safe drinking water or approximately 2,000 bottles of water.

My water bill is too high, is my water meter faulty?

The Town uses water meters that only record the volume of water that flows through the water meter. All water meters are certified to register accurately when the meters are manufactured.

The Town's Water Works By-law #2015-104 has a provision for water meter testing if you feel the water meter in your home is faulty.

Please note: A $50 deposit is required to test the water meter. If the water meter is found to register in excess of three per cent in favour of the Town the $50 deposit is returned and the water bill is adjusted in accordance with the By-law. If the water meter is found to register correctly, the deposit is forfeited and the balance of cost associated with the meter removal and testing is billed against the property. This will amount to an additional charge of $733 (for a 19mm meter). Upon payment of the deposit the Water Department will contact you to arrange for the removal and testing of the disputed water meter.

Water Meter Upgrade Program

The program involves replacing your existing water meter that is connected by wire to a remote fastened on the exterior of your home. The old meter will be removed and replaced with a new upgraded version that can transmit your water meter reading wirelessly to a remote reading device. The transmitting meter will allow the Town to read your water meter from the street eliminating the requirement for a meter reader to walk on or around your property.

Upgrades Benefits

The Town of East Gwillimbury established a new Town-wide standard for residential water meters. Benefits of the new water meters include:

  1. Water meters can identify properties with constant low flow conditions.
  2. Low flow issues such as a leaking toilet flapper valves can cause costly water bills.
  3. Water meters can be read remotely allowing for operational  efficiencies, eliminating meter estimates, and ensuring accurate meter reads.

Upgrades Preparation

Minimal preparation is required to replace your water meter. Prior to the upgrade, the homeowner should ensure the water meter is accessible to the installer. An area of at least 12 inches in all directions from the meter should be cleared. A temporary water shut off not lasting more than 15 minutes should be anticipated. Please note that an adult of at least 18 years of age must be present in the home during the upgrade. The upgrade should take no more than 30 minutes and a work order signature will be required upon completion of work.

New Town Water Meter

Booking your Appointment

For convenience, appointments can be scheduled weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.. Meter installation takes no longer than 30 minutes. To book your appointment please contact Customer Service at 905-478-4282.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why does my water meter need to be upgraded?

The Town is working to improve the accuracy and efficiency of collecting water meter readings

Do I have to agree to the water meter upgrade?

The Town's Regulation of Potable Water By-law #2015-104 states that it is mandatory for all property owners to participate in the Town's new meter installation, upgrade, replacement or inspection programs.

Do I have to pay for the new water meter?

There is no charge for the new meter or the upgrade. These costs are covered by the Town. The service contractor cannot request any fees or conduct work other than the meter upgrade.

How do I recognize the Town representative?

Town representatives will arrive with appropriate identification badges and Town issued uniforms.

Who can I contact for more information from the Town?

If you have any questions regarding the programs please contact Customer Service by email or calling 905-478-4282.