Water/Sewer/Storm Service Connection Permit Application

Applicants (property owners, developers, commercial, industrial, or institutional tenants or any member of the public) may apply for a Water/Sewer/Storm Service Connection Permit. 

Where can I apply?

To apply for a Water/Sewer/Storm Service Connection Permit, please email Customer Service.

What is a Water/Sewer/Storm Service Connection?

In most cases, the Service Connection is the pipe portion that extends from a municipal system to the property line of a property. Any pipe beyond the property line is considered as a private pipe and is subject to a separate permit issued under the Ontario Building Code Act and regulations through the Town of East Gwillimbury Building Branch.

How can I apply for a Service Connection Permit?

1. Fill out the prescribed Service Connection Application Form. Alternate formats for the Service Connection Application Form are available, if required. 

2. Submit the completed form by email to Customer Service.

3. Once submitted, a Permit Administrator will review the form and assign a permit ID on your application form.

4. Pay the service connection fees and charges, by visiting Customer Service located inside of the Civic Centre.

5. After the permit application is approved, our Water/Wastewater department will contact you for water meter installation and inspection. 

6. A separate permit and inspection of the private services is required from the Building Department.

Connection Fees & Charges:

Water/Sewer/Storm Service Connection Charge:

Case 1: If the service connection was installed through Land Development Projects, there is no service connection charge.  

“Land Development Project” means the construction of a water main or sewer main undertaken along with the land development, such as: a new residential, commercial, or industrial subdivision development.  

Case 2: If the service connection was installed through Local Improvement or Special Service Projects, the applicant must pay the service connection charge. 

“Local Improvement Project” means the construction of a water main or sewer main undertaken in accordance with the Local Improvement Act. The schedule of its connection charges is developed based on the Local Improvement Act as well.  

“Special Service Project” means the construction of a water main or sewer main undertaken in accordance with the agreement the Town has with other parties. The construction costs have already been paid. The cost recovery needs to be obtained through the service connection applications from that area.

Special Connection Areas - Bales Drive 

Special Connection Areas - Sluse Road 

Special Connection Areas - Mount Albert 

Special Connection Areas - Holland Landing/Sharon 

Case 3: If a service connection has not been installed yet and the Town's system is also available for that area, the following procedure applies:

The Town will hire a qualified contractor through a RFQ (Request for Quotation) process to install the service connection upon approval of the application. The applicant must pay the full amount of the installation costs plus a 15% administration charge prior to the installation.

Water meter fee


Meter Size (mm)

Fee ($)







The Town supplies the meter and inspects the installation, but it is the applicant's responsibility to hire a licensed plumber for the installation.

Frontage/Area Charge

The schedule of connection charges for some local improvement or special service projects may have two components: service connection fee and frontage/area charges. In such cases, the total cost of the service connection is broken-down.

What is the relationship between a Service Connection Permit and a Building Permit?

A Service Connection Permit regulates the installation of service connection pipes from the municipal system to the property line and the installation of water meters. The Community Infrastructure and Environmental Services (CIES) department will administer and issue a Service Connection Permit.

A Building Permit regulates the installation and inspection of the piping on private property. The Building Standards Branch will administrate this portion of the process through plans examination, site inspection and permit issuance.

 In general, submit a Service Connection Permit application to CIES and then present a copy of the Service Connection Permit when applying for a Building Permit. Contact the Building Standards Branch for details related to a Building Permit application.

Please be advised that no service connection works may commence prior to obtaining a Building Permit.