COVID-19 Update - To align with the January 4 provincial announcement, the Civic Centre is closed to walk-in public access. As a result, the issuance of marriage licences and civil ceremony services are paused until provincial restrictions are lifted. Currently, we can add you to our waiting list and you will be notified once services resume. If you’d like to be added to the waiting list, please contact the Clerks Department by email for assistance.

You need a marriage licence to get married in the Province of Ontario. The Town of East Gwillimbury (EG) issues marriage licences. You can learn how to apply for a marriage licence, review our civil marriage ceremony details and other marriage FAQs.

Visit Service Ontario to get a Marriage Certificate.

Apply for a marriage licence

Please complete the Marriage Licence Application. Both applicants must sign the application.

You can also pick up an application at Customer Service at the EG Civic Centre. Once issued, a Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of 90 days from the date of issue.
* Please scroll down to see COVID-19 exemption.

Book an appointment

Contact our Customer Service team or give us a call at 905-478-4282. Only one person needs to attend the appointment on behalf of the couple.

You will need to provide the following information at the appointment:

  • A completed Marriage Licence Application, that is signed by both applicants.
  • A payment of $144.30 (payable by cash, cheque, bank draft, money order, credit card or debit).
  • Proof of divorce, if applicable.
  • 2 pieces of government-issued identification for both applicants. One piece of identification must include your photo.  Details and examples of government-issued identification, as prescribed by the Provincial Government, are outlined below:
    • Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies, scanned images or pictures on electronic devices).
    • Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth.
    • Your first and last names must match on the two pieces of ID that are presenting.
    • To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID.
    • ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued.
    • If the ID is not in English, a written translation from a certified translator is required.
    • Health cards and S.I.N. cards will not be accepted.
    • Expired identification will not be accepted

Acceptable identification

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Ontario Photo Card (Purple photo ID card)Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Conditional Release Identification Card
  • United States Green Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residency
  • Permanent Residency Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Identity Card
  • Nexus Card
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
  • Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL)

COVID-19 exemption

As a result of COVID-19 the Government of Ontario has amended the Marriage Act that allow couples to use their expired marriage licence under the following timelines:

  • Licences issued between December 1, 2019 and July 24, 2020 are still valid and can be used until July 24, 2022;
  • Licences issued between October 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 are still valid and can be used until February 10, 2023; and
  • Licences issued between January 1, 2021 and June 4, 2021 are still valid and can be used until June 4, 2023.

Previously divorced

If you or your partner was previously divorced within Canada, you will need to bring the original or a court-certified copy of one of the following documents:

  • The final decree
  • The final judgment
  • A certificate of divorce

If an applicant was divorced outside of Canada, please visit Service Ontario for requirements.