Interactive zoning map

You can find out what the zoning is for various properties within the Town of East Gwillimbury by using our Interactive mapping tool. Simply type in the address you want to search or scroll to the area of interest to locate the Zoning symbol on the property. Once you have the zoning symbol, you can find out what the symbol means in section 2.0 of the Town's Zoning By-law.

View a larger version of the Interactive mapping tool

The purpose of the Town's Zoning By-law is to carry out the vision from the Town's Official Plan. The Town's Zoning By-law is also here to help you understand what you can do with your property. For example, the Town's Zoning By-law will determine if you can live there, do business, and what type of business. Depending on what you are building, the Zoning By-law also tells you how far you need to setback from the property line, and how high can you build and how big it can be.

Town's Zoning By-law 2018-043

View the Town's Zoning By-law and related maps:

Since enacted, this By-law has been further amended by subsequent Zoning By-Law Amendments. Please contact Planning for specific information. 

What happens if the Zoning By-law does not allow me to do what I want to do on my property?

If the Zoning By-law does not permit you to do what you want on your property, there are two options. Please speak with Planning Branch before making any applications with the Town. The purpose of these applications is to allow Council / Committee to understand why you cannot follow the Town's Zoning By-law.

Option 1: You may apply for a apply for a Zoning By-law Amendment. This is a Council approval process and may take 4 to 6 months to complete. This type of application is usually reserved for large scale development or changing the use on the property, where a public meeting is required.

Option 2: You may apply for a Minor Variance application. This type of application is reviewed at a Committee level. No Council approval is required. It is a 2 to 3 month process. This type of application is reserve for minor development. For example, if you need to build a deck closer to the property line than what the Zoning By-law would permit.

Zoning Confirmation Letter

You can request a Zoning Confirmation Letter if you need a formal letter from the Town confirming the Zoning for your property. Please contact the Planning Branch and apply for a Request for Zoning Confirmation Letter. There is a fee for the Zoning Confirmation Letter.

The documents on this page are available in other formats. Please contact the Planning Branch to request.