Town Response to COVID-19

Click here to find up to date information related to the Town's response to COVID-19

Fire Safety Success Stories

East Gwillimbury Emergency & Community Safety Services is focused on the three lines of defense, community education and fire prevention, inspections and enforcement and suppression.

The Community Education branch provides various educational initiatives on fire and life safety to the community through schools programs and community events. The overall objective is to raise awareness of fire prevention and fire safety in our communities by providing information to prevent fires and the tools needed to ensure safe evacuations.

Each year EG reaches over 12,000 residents through these programs. With every face to face interaction we are working together to make EG safer than it was yesterday.


We appreciate the time our residents take to share their fire and & life safety stories. Our team works hard to get these proactive messaging out in the community and are proud to hear about any success stories. If you have a success story about fire & life safety please submit it here.

Dear Chief Dawson:

I have been meaning to send this e-mail to you for a while.  My husband and I attended the Wednesday morning instructions regarding fire prevention and other safety factors, during the month of April at the East Gwillimbury Centre.  We both enjoyed the information regarding seniors and "how to keep us out of trouble".  I have my spatula to prove it!  I felt the information was important and I would certainly take it in to consideration when I became a senior. (I am presently only 77 years old  so was of the belief that these rules were for old people - or so I thought)  I have a story to tell and please don't hesitate to have your safety people use it. 

One Saturday afternoon I was cooking in the kitchen (I forgot to hold my spatula while doing so). My husband was outside with our granddaughter.  I walked down the hall to grab a can of tomatoes from my storage cabinet - food still cooking on the stove.  I got the tomatoes and turned and my foot caught on the carpet and I fell on my left side - straight out- my head barely missing the cabinet on the other side of the room.  I have a bad right leg - waiting for knee replacement- and was unable to get up.  I lay there for a few minutes trying to get my wits about me and praying that nothing was broken and I was so aware that the food was still cooking on the stove and there was no one in the house to help me.  I managed to sit up, but couldn't get up.  Finally, I used my arms to move  along the floor and up the hall to the stairs and was able to raise myself up with the use of the stairs.  I immediately turned off the stove and sat on the kitchen stool realizing what could have happened.  My husband came in after about 10 minutes and said "Are you okay?"  My response "Noooooooooo!".  It all happened so fast and it could have been a disaster.  I now NEVER walk out of the kitchen with the stove on. I use the spatula all the time to remind me to not leave the stove on even for a second if I am not in the kitchen.  There are no longer carpets on the kitchen or storage room floors.  I have realized that these safety measures apply to all ages, not just the young (or old seniors.)  I thought that I would just share a story that had the potential for disaster but fortunately wasn't.  Thanks for all the good work you and your team do on behalf of us all.


P.S.  My son-in-law Greg was appalled by my behaviour as he is a fire-fighter in Richmond Hill.  He is right!  I knew better but didn't think that the rules applied to me.