> Home Page > Services > By-law Enforcement

By-law Enforcement

The By-law Enforcement Department is responsible for the enforcement of all Municipal By-laws and some government regulations such as the Provincial Offences Act, Municipal Act, Building Code Act, Planning Act, Dog Owners Liability Act, and Weed Control Act. 

By-law enforcement staff work with the community to educate and enforce by-laws and to protect the welfare, health and safety of our residents. By-law staff are also available as a resource if you have questions or concerns relating to by-laws or other enforcement issues in East Gwillimbury. 

To contact the By-law enforcement department, please call 905-478-4282 or email bylaws@eastgwillimbury.ca.

Common By-laws

By-law Concerns/Complaints

By-law related concerns can be reported to the Town by filling out our online complaint form (paper copies of the form are available at the Civic Centre), mail or by email. Please note that all concerns must include your contact information, name, address, and phone number, in order for the concern to be investigated. Personal information collected is intended to be used for the investigation and related activities, and for follow up regarding your complaint if necessary. All information collected is subject to the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The Town of East Gwillimbury considers a complainant to be a confidential source in respect to municipal law enforcement matters and every effort will be made to protect the identity of the complainant. 

Parking Control

Parking patrol is conducted on a daily basis.  There is a three hour maximum parking restriction, unless otherwise posted, on all roads in East Gwillimbury.

Parking tickets are issued for a number of violations as per the Town’s Parking By-law.  

If you receive a parking ticket you have three options:

  1. Pay the set fine as prescribed on the Parking Infraction Notice (ticket).  Payment can be made in person at the Civic Centre, by mail, or by depositing a cheque along with the ticket into the drop box located at the front doors of the Civic Centre.
  2. Dispute the ticket: you must first call the Town office at 905-478-4282 to book a First Attendance appointment with a By-law staff member.  If the matter is not resolved you may, at this time, request a trial.
  3. Trial: after you have attended the Civic Centre for a First Attendance meeting and wish to dispute the ticket further, you can then fill out an “Intention to Appear” to have a trial scheduled.  Once the forms have been filled out they will be sent to the courts and you will receive a notice in the mail advising you of your trial date.

Parking Considerations

The Town of East Gwillimbury accepts requests for parking consideration from the three hour maximum for special circumstances such as out-of-town guests, driveway repairs, or special occasions. Considerations are issued for short-terms only at the discretion of the By-law Department. 

Animal Control

As per the Town of East Gwillimbury’s “Dog Registration By-law” #2004-119, every owner of a dog must purchase a dog tag for the current year and be affixed to the dogs collar when not on their property. Dog tags are valid for one calendar year and must be purchased prior to February 28th of that year.  Dog tags are available at the Civic Centre for purchase. If you are not able to visit the Civic Centre during regular business hours you can contact Animal Control directly and they will arrange with you a convenient time to purchase a tag from them.  In addition, Animal Control also has dog tag sellers that go door to door.

Guide/assistive/therapy dogs are required to have valid dog tags however, there is no fee for these tags. Proof of designation as a guide/assistive/therapy dog will be required at the time of obtaining a dog tag.

In the event of a dog tag being lost, a replacement tag may be purchased for $7.00.

If a dog is found to be without a current dog tag, the owner or person in possession of the dog could be liable to a fine of $250.00.  The Town of East Gwillimbury does not have any off-leash dog parks, therefore all dogs must be leashed when off of their property.  If a dog is found to be off leash it may be deemed “Running at Large” and charges may be laid on the owner or person who the dog is in the care of. 

Please note: in a residential area, there is a maximum of three dogs allowed per home.

Currently, the Town of East Gwillimbury does not have a requirement to license cats.

If you have a concern regarding domestic animals please call Animal Control at 1-888-644-5634. If you have a concern regarding the welfare of a domestic animal, please contact the OSPCA at 905-898-7122. If you have a concern regarding wild animals, please contact the Ministry of Natural Resources at 905-713-7400.

Pound Keepers

The Pound Keeper shall impound any horse, bull, ox, cow, sheep, goat, pig or other cattle, geese or other poultry, for unlawfully running at large or for trespassing and doing damage, delivered to him or her for that purpose by any person resident in the Pound Keeper’s division.

The Pounds Act, 1990, contains more information regarding Pound Keepers.

Please contact the Town’s appointed Pound Keepers: Ken and Aimee Tribbling at 905-862-0562 or Customer Service at 905-478-4282.

Livestock Valuation

In the event of livestock being killed or injured by coyotes, wolves, or wild dogs, contact the Town’s Livestock Valuators Ken and Aimee Tribling immediately, at 905-862-0562. Do not remove the carcass until the Valuator has attended your property to assess the loss. The Livestock Valuator will file a report with the Town.
For more information, contact Customer Service at 905-478-4282.

Business Licenses

Business Licenses are required for all refreshment vehicles, salvage yards and yaxi operations within the boundaries of East Gwillimbury.  

For applications and information on taxi licensing please contact the By-law Department.

Pool Enclosure Permits

All pools, hot tub, and whirlpools with a depth of more than 24 inches of water and is used or capable of being used for swimming or bathing must have a permit prior to being installed.  

Sign Permits

Sign permits are required for all signs. Wall signs that are affixed to the wall of a structure must have a Building Permit issued by the Building Department. Ground signs may also require a Building Permit.

Noxious Weeds

To Residents and Property Owners Regarding Noxious Weeds 

The main purpose of the Weed Control Act, R.S.O. 1990 is to reduce the impact of noxious weeds on the industries of agriculture and horticulture. Primarily, this Act applies to agricultural and horticultural lands and excludes lawns, gardens and private areas for personal enjoyment and leisure.

Under the Weed Control Act,  R.S.O. 1990, Chapter W5, sections 3, 13, 16 and 23 you are requested to destroy all noxious weeds on your property.

In Urban Areas

Sections 3, 13, 16 and 18 of the Weed Control Act do not apply to noxious weeds or 
weed seeds that are a sufficient distance from land used for agricultural or horticultural purposes, as they do not interfere with that purpose.

All properties within the Municipality of East Gwillimbury are hereby requested to be in compliance with the Weed Control Act by the 16th day of June 2005.