The information provided on this page is intended only as a guide. Applicants should review the bylaws and consult with the Corporate Services Department to determine the charges and fees that may apply to specific development proposals.
You may be required to pay Development Charges for any residential or non-residential development if you are:
- erecting a new (not replacement) building(s);
- making an addition or alteration to an existing building(s) which increases the gross floor area or number of units; and/or
- redeveloping a property or properties which result in a change of use.
Unless otherwise provided by agreement, a development charge is calculated and payable in full, on the date of issuance of a building permit, for development on land to which a development charge applies.
Pursuant to the legislation, the municipality is authorized to collect Development Charges on behalf of the Regional Municipality of York and the York Catholic and Public District School Boards. The rates are subject to indexing in accordance with the various by-laws. Each jurisdiction is responsible for setting the rates of its own Development Charges, indexing and for determining any exemptions. For inquiries dealing with calculations and exemptions, each jurisdiction should be contacted regarding their respective development charge by-laws.
The following development charges are in effect:
2016 Development Charges Background Study and By-Law
- Notice of Public Meeting - June 21, 2016
- 2016 Development Charges Amendment Study - May 13, 2016
- 2016 Development Charges Amendment By-law presentation - May 10, 2016
- 2016 Development Charges Amendment By-law
- Development Charges Amendment By-Law - Notice of Passing
2014 Development Charges Background Study and By-Law
- Town-wide DC By-law 2014-083
- Area Specific By-law 2014-082
- 2014 Development Charges Background Study
For inquiries regarding development charges, each jurisdiction should be contacted with respect to their respective development charge by-laws. The contact persons are listed below:
Town of East Gwillimbury
(905) 478-4283 ext 1229
(905) 830-4444 ext 71696
(416) 221-5051 ext 2374