> Home Page > About Us > Public Notices > Town Notices > Notice of Intention for a Heritage Property

Notice of Intention for a Heritage Property

NOTICE OF INTENTION TO DESIGNATE A PROPERTY OF CULTURAL HERITAGE VALUE OR INTEREST

TAKE NOTICE THAT the Council of the Corporation of the Town of East Gwillimbury intend to designate the following property as a property of cultural heritage value or interest pursuant to the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter O.18, Part IV, Section 29.

The Elmer House
18651 Warden Avenue
Lot 8, Concession 5
Town of East Gwillimbury
Regional Municipality of York

Statement of Cultural Heritage Value/Description of Heritage Attributes

The Elmer House was constructed circa 1856 on the east side of Warden Avenue north of Herald Road, in the Town of East Gwillimbury. The approximately 25 acre subject property supports a 1 ½ storey frame dwelling constructed circa 1856, with two outbuildings (a barn and a workshop) located in the rear yard.

The Elmer House is of cultural heritage value as one of the few remaining intact examples of an Ontario classic farmhouse, constructed in the mid-19th century. Typical of this style, it maintains the simple, rectangular, “plain folk” early architecture prominent in Upper Canada during this era. Some alterations have been made to the house, such as: construction of the bell-cast shaped verandah; installation of west-facing dormer windows; and the alteration of the interior arrangement of rooms to suit modern needs.

Key exterior attributes that express the value of The Elmer House as an example of a typical mid-19th century Ontario classic farmhouse are: rubble-stone foundation, 12-over-8 double-hung wooden windows (similar to those found on the Ebenezer Doan house), a 6-panel cross-and-bible pattern raised-panel wooden front door, and clapboard, board and batten sidings.

The property has historical and associative value as the former farmhouse of William Elmer and his family. Mary Elmer (William’s wife) was born Mary Webster and her ancestors – Websters, Lundys and Willsons – were part of the influx of Quakers who left New Jersey and joined the Pelham Monthly Meeting and Yonge Street Quakers. William joined David Willson`s Children of Peace, and Mary`s mother was one of the builders of the Temple. William and Mary became Quakers after 1817 and are buried in the Children of Peace Cemetery. William was part of the Reform Movement of Canada West, and was one of the elected delegates to a County Convention of the Reform Movement (i.e. founders of the Reform Movement in Upper Canada). William and Mary were part of a community that in large part had roots in the founding of Ontario.

Detailed reasons and further information respecting the proposed designation of the Elmer House can be obtained by contacting James Daniel, Planner, at 905-478-4282, ext. 1265 or at jdaniel@eastgwillimbury.ca
Any person may, by the 19th day of August, 2017, serve on the Clerk of the municipality a Notice of Objection setting out the reason for the objection and all relevant facts. If a Notice of Objection is received, the Council of the Town of East Gwillimbury will refer the matter to the Conservation Review Board for a hearing and a report.

Dated at The Town of East Gwillimbury this 19th day of July, 2017.

Fernando Lamanna, Municipal Clerk, Town of East Gwillimbury, 19000 Leslie Street, Sharon, ON L0G 1V0.