Town Response to COVID-19

Click here to find up to date information related to the Town's response to COVID-19

 > Home Page > About Us > Public Notices > General Notices > COVID-19 Updates > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

EG frequently asked questions:

Property Tax and Water Bill Payments 

Can I get an extension to pay my property taxes or water bill?

Due dates for property tax and water bills remain as normal timelines indicated on the bill. 

The Town collects taxes on behalf of York Region and the School Boards. The Town is working with these government partners to consider further deferral options and this will be shared as available.

If you have concerns regarding the ability to pay your bill please contact the Tax and Water staff at taxwater@eastgwillimbury.calinks to external site.

The Town office is closed, how can I make my payments?

While the office is closed, residents and businesses can make their payments through their financial institution’s online banking*, by mail or the Town’s drop box located outside of Civic Centre (19000 Leslie Street, Sharon, Ontario L0G 1V0).

 Tax certificate requests and other correspondence must be mailed or placed in the Town’s drop box located outside of the Civic Centre.

For more information email us at or call 905-478-4282.

*For property tax payments, the payee name is ‘East Gwillimbury Taxes’ and your account number is your 19-digit property roll number with no spaces or decimals and can be found in the upper left corner of your property tax bill.

*For paying your water account your payee name is ‘East Gwillimbury Utilities’ or ‘East Gwillimbury Water’ and your account number is the 12-digit number which is located in the upper right corner of your water bill.

If you need to discuss other payment arrangements for your account based on your specific circumstances, please contact our Finance Department directly at

I am paying through installments and have sent in post dated cheques; how will I be affected?

Although, we are not able to cancel cheques that have already been processed, requests to withdraw post dated cheques on file for future payments can be made to the Town. Requests to withdraw post dated cheques should be made by email at

I am on a pre-authorized payment plan (PAP), how will I be affected?

The Town is continuing with the PAP withdrawals as normal, unless directed by the account owner.

If you can pay your property taxes or water bills by the regular due date as indicated on the bill, please continue to do so.

If you wish to withdraw from the PAP program, please indicate this by email at

If I withdraw from the Pre-authorized Payment Plan, can I return to the plan later?

You can re-enroll in the Pre-authorized Payment Plan at any time by contacting our Town staff at

Tax Summaries

Tax Summaries are still available for purchase during the closure of Town facilities. There is a fee of $10.90 for this document and payment can be made via the drop box or by e-mail.

  • Dropbox: Include your written request in writing and cheque (for $10.90) in an envelope with your name, phone number and email address. We will e-mail you the tax summary (your e-mail address must contain the name on the tax account) or we can mail it to the address that your tax bill goes to.
  • Email: To complete a payment using your credit card, complete the Credit Card Authorization Form. Please email your completed form to Customer Service at customerservice@eastgwillimbury.calinks to external site for processing.

    Please note that the Credit Card Authorization Form may only be used for specific payments, including printing tax summaries, fire permits or dog tags. Debit Visa cards are not accepted. For assistance on other payments please contact Customer Service at 905-478-4282 or customerservice@eastgwillimbury.calinks to external site.Your e-mail address must contain the name on the tax account.

Waste Collection

Is curbside waste collection still taking place?

EG waste collection will continue as scheduled. Residents are reminded to place their waste at the curb by 7 a.m. to ensure collection. To verify your collection day visit the Collection Calendar.

What is the garbage limit during COVID-19?

At this time, residents may place up to five bags of untagged garbage out for collection. This includes bulky items. For example, if you have two bulky items, you may place out those and three bags of waste. 

If you have concerns regarding collection, please contact Customer Service for assistance and other arrangements at customerservice@eastgwillimbury.calinks to external site

I can't purchase a Yard Waste sticker, can I label my own bin Yard Waste for collection?

Yes! Well we are closed, please use brown yard waste bags and/or label any bins clearly as Yard Waste for the collection operators. Be sure to follow Yard Waste collection tips

Are there any precautions I should take when disposing my waste during COVID-19?

Help protect our GFL collection crews by following these tips:

  • If you or a family member are in self-isolation, it is advised to dispose of all used tissues, paper towel, used gloves and masks in a wastebasket lined with a plastic bag for disposal as garbage.
  • When emptying wastebaskets, take care to not touch any waste with your hands.
  • All used disposable contaminated items should be placed in a lined container before disposing of them with other household waste as garbage.
  • Clean your hands with soap and water after emptying the wastebasket.
  • Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.

Can I still place large items out for collection? 

Please hold off on disposing large bulky items until regular garbage collection resumes.

How should I dispose disinfecting wipes, baby wipes and paper towels?

Disinfectant wipes and baby wipes belong in the garbage and paper towels belong in the green bin. Don’t flush these items in the toilet as this will cause sewer blockages which may lead to a sewer back-up of your house. To search how to properly dispose items, please use York Region’s Bindicator Tool.links to external site

Are York Region Waste Depots open?

All York Region Waste depots are operated by York Region. Please visit to external site to check the status of waste depots. 

Can I still make textile donations at Diabetes Canada bins?

Textile donations are currently being accepted at all Diabetes Canada donation box locations. EG now has a Diabetes Canada donation box located at the East Gwillimbury Sports Complex, in the east parking lot. For more information, please visit the Diabetes Canada websitelinks to external site.

Parks and Trails

Residents are permitted to walk through parks and trails throughout the Town for exercise and to walk their dogs. However, the provincial guidance limits group size to 5 people (within the same household). No congregating is allowed in park facilities.

Outdoor ice surfaces will be opened once ready for use. There will be specific safety measures in place to ensure that users are respecting public health recommendations. The Town is in the process of developing a plan for a safe opening which will likely include pre-registration to allow for a maximum number of users at one time. Further updates will be provided prior to opening.

By-law and park staff will be visiting Town parks to remind residents of public health directives such as social distancing. To submit a complaint please email: bylaws@eastgwillimbury.calinks to external site


The Town has a year-round three hour parking by-law. Visit the Parking By-law page to learn more.

 Building Permit Applications

Building permit applications can be submitted electronically, for further details please see our Building Permits and Inspections page. Please email any inquiries to building@eastgwillimbury.calinks to external site.  Please note we are experiencing a higher than normal volume of permits and inquiries, which may result in a delay in response time. 

Building Inspections 

Inspection services for all building projects will continue. To request an inspection, please email buildinginspections@eastgwillimbury.calinks to external site. The Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code are still in effect and construction without a permit is prohibited. Prescribed building inspections are still required to be scheduled, including occupancy inspections. 

Planning Applications

Planning applications continue to be accepted, please contact Planning staff to make arrangements for any submissions. Staff continue to work with applicants and respond to all inquiries. Please send any inquiries/contact us via planning@eastgwillimbury.calinks to external site.

Fire Burning Permits 

Fire permits are available for purchase during the closure of Town facilities. To obtain a fire permit, please visit our Fire Burning Permits page and complete the fire permit application form. Forms can be submitted via Town’s dropbox located outside of the Civic Centre or by email.

  • Dropbox: Include your completed application form and cheque (for $37.80) in an envelope with your name, phone number and email address.

If you are a local business, the Town’s Economic Development team has gathered additional information and resources for you, please visit our Helping Businesses page for more information.

What is happening with Animal Services?

The community is reminded that having a plan in place for their pets is critical. Individuals who become sick or require hospitalization will need to have someone to take care of their animals.

The Georgina Animal Shelter and Adoption Centre appreciates donations, however, at this time we ask residents to hold on to them for now until the centre re-opens to the public. Any donations left at the door will have to be disposed of as it is not known who or where they came from.

 Resources for additional information:

Wi-Fi Access Hotspots

East Gwillimbury residents and visitors can enjoy free internet access outside of the Civic Centre, Holland Landing Community Centre, and Ross Family Complex. Signage and barricades have been installed at each facility that identify the location of the Wi-Fi access areas within each parking lot. Those interested in connecting to the Wi-Fi hotspots must park in one of the designated parking spots to successfully connect to the internet to ensure social distancing.

The Wi-Fi hotspots can be accessed within 12 meters at the following locations:

  • Civic Centre - front entrance visitor parking spaces
  • Holland Landing Community Centre - front entrance facing the windows
  • Ross Family Complex - front entrance facing the windows

How do I report physical distancing concerns?

To report physical distancing concerns in residential homes please contact York Regional Police at their non-emergency number at 1-866-876-5423. If the complaint is in relation to a municipal facility or business please complete the online By-law Complaint Form. 

Mandatory Use of Face Masks and Coverings

Face masks or coverings are mandatory in enclosed public spaces throughout York. Region. This included non-medical or cloth face masks, bandanas or scarves that cover your nose and mouth. Visit to external site for more information.

Community Support 

It’s important that we get together and help those in need in our community. Here’s how you can donate to our local Food Pantry’s: 

  • The East Gwillimbury Food Pantry takes place on the last Saturday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Holland Landing Community Centre - lower level
  • Donations for the East Gwillimbury Food Pantry can be made by visiting to external site Please include “Food Pantry” in the message field. 
  • The Mount Albert Food Bank takes place on the last Wednesday of the month at the Mount Albert United Church. Hours of operation very, please visit their website or Facebook page to for updated information.
  • The Mount Albert Food Bank is accepting monetary donations by mail to Mount Albert United Church, 41 Alice St. Mt. Albert, Ontario, L0G 1M0. 
  • Second Chance Clothing Depot & Food Cupboard takes place every Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to noon at St. James the Apostle Anglican Church.
  • Donations can be dropped off in the donation box beside the house at St. James the Apostle Anglican Church.
  • The Women’s Support Network (WSN) has launched a Practical Assistance Program to assist vulnerable at-risk youth that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The WSN program will relive stress associated with accessing goods and supports during COVID-19, including food bank resources, fresh produce, and essential store vouchers.
  • If you or someone you know requires this type of assistance, please email links to external site

Hall Rentals

Hall rentals remain canceled at the East Gwillimbury Sports Complex, Ross Family Complex and Holland Landing.

Unstaffed Community Centres will remain closed until further notice.

Facilities/Recreation Centres

Indoor recreation facilities are now closed to the public, including all rinks at the Sports Complex. All in-person programs will be cancelled, for more information visit our Recreation Page.

East Gwillimbury Public Library 

 The libraries will remain open for curbside pick-up, delivery and pick-up. For more information visit their website.links to external site