Town Response to COVID-19

Click here to find up to date information related to the Town's response to COVID-19

 > Home Page > About Us > About the Town > Residents' Guide > Newly Built Home Guide > Newly Built Home Guide Online

Newly Built Home Guide Online

Community Resources

Emergency Services

Getting Started

Questions You May Have

What Is Assumption?

Who Is Responsible?

Moving into your new home

Deficiencies in your new home

Improving your property



Community Resources

Our New Residents’ Guide was designed to help you learn more about living in EG. Learn more about:
• Waste Collection
• Recreation Activities
• Community Involvement
• Community Resources
• Community Safety
• By-Laws and Parking
• Snow Clearing and roads
Pick up your document at the Civic Centre or visit to see an online version.

There has never been a better time for you and your family to get involved in a recreational activity! We have many new and interesting programs for all ages. Our friendly staff have taken the time to design something new for each age group. Take some time to browse through our Healthy and Active Living Guide and see what we have to offer.
Register for programs online at

Welcome Centre is a one-stop service designed to guide and support immigrants in Durham and York Regions. Services include:
• Settlement and integration services
• English language training
• Accreditation and qualifications information
• Employment support
• Additional services based on community needs (such as legal services, mental health services, culturally appropriate family counselling, etc.)
Visit Toll-free: 1-877-761-1155

Court Services
Family and Children’s Services
Long term Care
Paramedic Services
Planning and Economic Development
Police Services
Public Health
Regional Roads
Social Assistance
Solid Waste Management
For more information, please contact Access Your at 1-877-464-9675 or visit

Follow the Town of East Gwillimbury on Social Media!
Facebook – Town of East Gwillimbury
Twitter - @TownofEG


Emergency Services

East Gwillimbury residents, businesses and visitors are provided emergency services through a combination fire department model. Simply put, a combination fire department uses both volunteer and career, full-time firefighters to provide fire and life safety education and prevention services as well as respond to fires, medical emergencies, motor vehicle collisions, rescue, and other calls. Volunteer firefighters, also referred to as “Paid-on-Call” in East Gwillimbury Emergency Services. East Gwillimbury Emergency Services currently has approximately 80 volunteers and 20 full-time firefighters providing programs and services for a safe, accessible and livable community

The Town of East Gwillimbury has Superior Tanker Shuttle Accreditation. This recognizes a fire department’s ability to shuttle water by way of tanker trucks to fight fires in areas far from municipal hydrants. As a result of this accreditation, residents who own detached dwellings within 8 km (by road) from any of the three fire stations may be eligible to receive a cost reduction in their fire insurance rates.
For more information visit the Town’s website

It’s the Law
Every home in Ontario must have a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas. Smoke alarms should be already in place when you move in to your new home, however, it is your responsibility to maintain them. Replace your smoke alarm within the time frame indicated by the manufacturer (usually 10 years). Failure to comply the fire code smoke alarm requirements could result in a ticket for $360 or a fine of up to $50,000. Remember, when it is time to change your clocks, it is time to change your batteries!

The Ontario Building Code requires that all homes and residential buildings built after 2001 have a CO alarm installed. Detectors should be placed in close proximity to bedrooms. They may also be placed in the furnace room or other areas of the residence where carbon monoxide might accumulate. For added protection, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every storey of your home.

If a fire occurred in your home, would your family know how to get out? You may only have seconds to safely escape your home. It is important when you move into a new home to develop a home fire escape plan with all members of your household. Make sure everyone in the household can unlock all doors and windows quickly, even in the dark and knows at least two exits out of every room. Choose a meeting place outside the home and ensure everyone knows to never go back inside.

The Town requires anyone having an open-air fire to obtain a fire permit. A fire permit costs $37.50 for a calendar year regardless of the number of fires you have. In order to be eligible to receive a permit you must ensure the fire is located more than 10 metres (32.8 feet) from any building, structure, hedge, fence, roadway, overhead wires or any obstruction whatsoever that may burn or melt. All permits issued are subject to a follow up inspection by a Fire Prevention Officer. Permits are available at the Civic Centre.

If you would like more fire safety information please visit Or visit to fill out a request form for firefighters to attend an event and share community education and prevention information.

Getting Started

There are several important documents you should review when buying a new home. These documents and plans will help familiarize you with your new home and neighbourhood. They may include legal jargon and it may be helpful to have your solicitor review the documents with you.

A subdivision agreement is a legal document that clearly states the developer’s obligations to the municipality for construction of roads, sewers, watermains, parks, open spaces and other services in your subdivision. Purchasers are urged to review these agreements with their solicitor, especially the warning clauses and special conditions, before signing purchase documents.

Warning clauses alert new homeowners to specific items related to their subdivision. These may include noise, environmental restrictions, use of public spaces, etc. Agreements of purchase and sale for new homes will include clauses to point out these items.

Utility plans include above-ground structures associated with utilities and services such as electrical transformers, telephone pedestals, community mailboxes, and streetlights. This information should be posted in the subdivision sales office once available. For inquiries regarding community mailboxes, please contact Canada Post at 1-866-607-6301. For information about cable TV boxes, or internet, please contact a local service provider. For all other inquiries please ask your developer.

Grading plans outline the change in grade or elevation for the site. A grading plan of your specific lot is available at the sales office. These plans are helpful because your property may appear flat when in fact it could include slopes or drainage features such as:
Swales – shallow grassed drainage channels with gently sloping sides to collect and direct storm water
Retaining walls – structures that hold back soil and replace undesired steep slopes
Slopes – a vertical rise or fall. For example, in the grading plan shown, it may not be obvious from the overhead view figure 1 that there is a drop of 2 meters in the grade of the property. This only becomes clear when you see an elevation view figure 2. Elevation plans may not always be available, however, the developer should be able to describe this to you based on the grading plan. Many factors may be important in your purchasing decision and we recommend that you learn as much as you can about the property before you buy it.



Questions You May Have

You are responsible for taxes on both the land and building(s) you own from the date you take possession. However, assessment on a newly built home will not happen immediately. Supplementary bills can occur up to two years after the date of purchase. The process looks like this:

Municipal drinking water is supplied by York Region and delivered to homes by the Town. The water meter on your new home should already be installed by the builder before you take ownership. Please contact the Town at least five business days before your closing date so the Town can schedule a meter reading. (Any water consumption before this meter reading will be charged to the builder, not the home owner). Once you become responsible for ongoing water payments, your meter will be read every three month and you will receive a bill. The Town has a pre-set schedule of meter reading dates for different areas in town.

The charges on your bill include both metered and delivery charges. Metered charges are based on water usage. Delivery charges pay to maintain proper infrastructure such as water and wastewater pipes. The water and sewer bills for each area are billed every three months. Payments can be made at your bank, by cash, cheque or debit/interac. The Town does not accept credit card payments for water bills. Pre-authorized payment plans are available. See below for more information about the pre-authorized payment plans.


The Town offers two prepaid methods of paying your water bill.
12 Month Plan - a pre-determined amount is withdrawn from your bank account on the 19th of each month for 12 months.
Auto Withdrawal Plan - the quarterly bill amount is withdrawn automatically from your bank account on the bill
due date.
Applications for both plans are available for pick up at customer service or on our website at

There are architectural control guidelines for all new homes. These guidelines may affect the model, elevation, colour and finish that is permitted on specific lots. Also, the Town has guidelines for such things as light standard and bench locations, street trees, street signs and park entry features. These ensure that there is variety in the neighbourhood for an attractive streetscape.

Please contact the appropriate board of education for information regarding schools and busing. School locations
and potential sites are determined by each school board. It is important to note that future schools identified on maps or signs in subdivisions are not guaranteed to be built.
York Region District School Board
(905) 895-7216 or
York Catholic District School Board
(905) 713-2711 or
Conseil scolaire de district catholique Centre-Sud
1-800-274-3764 or

As a buyer of a newly built home you will be provided with one blue bin, one green bin and one kitchen catcher from your developer upon closing. Additional bins are available for purchase at the Civic Centre. If you did not receive your bins please contact your developer.

It is important to be aware of parking by-laws and restrictions when purchasing your new residence as this may affect your parking availability. For more information and to review the Town’s parking by-law please visit:

Municipal addresses are assigned at the time the subdivision is registered and they can’t be changed. If you do not want to live in a home with a particular number, you will need to consider this before you purchase. Remember to post your municipal number immediately upon taking possession to avoid delays for emergency vehicles reaching you. Ensuring that your address is visible from the street can save time in the event of and emergency.

You can move into your new home once you have finalized your closing in accordance with your purchase and sale agreement with the developer and the Town issues an Occupancy Permit. Be aware that some work may still need to be done to your house such as flooring, counter tops, faucets, caulking, exterior decks, railings, steps or grass. Once all outstanding items are complete a Final Inspection will occur and a final occupancy permit will be issued. If you have concerns regarding the completion of your home, contact your builder and/or solicitor.

At the time you sign an agreement of purchase and sale all neighbourhood design details may not be decided. Keep in touch with your builder to make sure you’re informed about any changes after you sign. Changes could include the dimensions of your lot, drainage patterns, position of your home on the property, location of retaining walls and noise fencing, etc.

What Is Assumption?

When a new subdivision is built the developer is responsible for all:
• Sewers
• Watermains
• Stormwater management ponds
• Roads
• Sidewalks
• Street lighting
• Infrastructure
The developer will build and maintain all of the infrastructure until the responsibility is transferred to the municipality. Officially speaking the Town will “assume” responsibility. This happens in three stages.

Once a subdivision is complete the Town will inspect the works installed by the developer and builder and confirm if they are acceptable and issue an acceptance certificate.

Once an acceptance certificate is issued by the Town, all works are subject to a maintenance period. The developer maintains responsibility for the infrastructure until the maintenance period is complete.

Once the maintenance period has passed and all deficiencies have been corrected the Town will assume full responsibility for the maintenance of all municipal services.

The process of assumption cannot begin until construction is complete. There is no time limit for assumption. Unassumed roads are open to the public and subject to conventional rules of the road under the Highway Traffic Act including parking regulations.

The Town provides snow clearing services and garbage pickup in the communities. If you have any questions or concerns please contact customer service at the Town.

Who Is Responsible?

As a new homeowner it is important to understand who is responsible for the different services and structures in your subdivision.

• Grading and drainage of the subdivision
• Perimeter fencing around the subdivision
• Installation of sewers, watermains, stormwater management ponds
• Construction of roads, curbs and sidewalks
• Coordination of installation of utilities (hydro, gas, telephone and cable)
• Installation of street lighting
• Initial landscaping of public areas, including street trees
• Construction of privacy and acoustic fencing
• Road maintenance (prior to assumption)

• Home construction
• Lot grading
• Sodding
• Driveway paving (subject to your agreement of purchase and sale)
• Managing construction debris and construction traffic during development

• Road maintenance (after assumption)*
• Snow removal
• Garbage pick-up
• Street trees (after assumption)
• Parks and trails (after assumption)
• Building permits
• Parking and by-law enforcement
• Emergency Services
*About 40% of the roads in East Gwillimbury are owned and maintained by York Region. If you have any roads-related questions we suggest you call the Town first and we will advise you if you will need to contact the Region.

• Understanding the terms of your agreement of purchase and sale
• Proper maintenance of your lot
• Landscaping and fencing once lot grading is complete and sod is established
• Checking with the Town prior to making any changes to your property (this will ensure relevant permits are obtained and complied with)
• Maintaining working smoke alarms and knowing two ways out of every room in the event of an emergency

 Moving into your new home

When you finally move into your new home, here’s what you can typically expect:
• The developer and builder will continue their work around your property as your lot grading and sodding may not be complete and other homes may still be under construction
• The builder is still responsible to keep roads clear and safe for traffic including cars, garbage trucks, and for service, delivery and emergency vehicles
• The Town is responsible for snow removal and garbage pickup
• Construction of neighbourhood parks may still be in progress
• Sidewalks may not be completed
• Maintenance may be required for underground infrastructure so be aware of work crews inspecting sewers and flushing hydrants
• Completion of curbs and final road paving are one of the final steps prior to Town acceptance and the start of the maintenance period
• Other lots within the subdivision may be under construction or vacant when you move in

The Town is clear about its expectations of developers site maintenance. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Town.

All new subdivisions have nuisances pertaining to noise, traffic, dust and debris. As these can be an annoyance to homeowners, the Town requires the developer/builder to minimize them wherever possible. Homeowners are asked to have patience and keep in contact with their builder regarding any concerns.

Deficiencies in your new home

Once you have taken possession of your new home, TARION the New Home Warranty Program) provides warranty
protection. Provincial law requires that every new home in Ontario is protected by a mandatory warranty provided by the builder and backed by TARION.

Your builder is responsible for any deficiencies in your new home. If you have concerns, first give your builder a chance to act on these concerns. Then, if the builder fails to respond, notify TARION and request assistance. There are one and two year warranties for certain defects in work and materials and a seven year warranty for major structural defects. It is important to record all complaints in writing to both your builder and TARION.

Ensure that all communication with your builder is documented and forward copies to TARION to be placed
in your file. Do not rely on verbal communication with site personnel, trades people or the builder. Construction
performance guidelines are available at, describing the standard to which construction that is covered by the warranty program must be completed.
Please note there are strict time limits within which written complaints must be made to TARION. You are also urged to discuss the complaint process with your solicitor.

Improving your property

You should contact the Town before you begin landscaping or install fencing, sheds, decks or pools. Discuss these
changes with staff to ensure that you have the permissions you require and to ensure that all Town standards and
regulations are met.

Refer to your agreement of purchase and sale to determine who is responsible for paving your driveway and when it may be done. Once your driveway is paved if you wish to expand or refinish the driveway please contact the Town to determine permitted locations and maximum widths. Approval from the Town’s engineering department is required for any proposed expansion.

Every builder will have rules regarding pool installations prior to assumption and homeowners should read their agreement of purchase and sale for these details. Until the subdivision is assumed by the Town, the developer is responsible for all lot grading and drainage which may be affected by the installation of a pool. During this period, a pool permit cannot be issued without the written consent of your developer and/or builder. If the developer and builder agree to allow a pool, you will need to apply for a permit from the Town to construct the pool and you will also be required to safely secure the property with appropriate fencing and gates. If access to Town land is needed please speak with the Town’s development engineering branch about the required permit.

To determine if you require a building permit, please contact the Town’s Building Branch and speak with a Permit
Coordinator. Any alterations to grade must conform to the requirements of the Town and must not impact the overall drainage patterns in the area. Do not landscape, erect fencing, or construct decks or sheds that may alter the grading and/or drainage on your lot or that of a neighbouring lot without first obtaining approval from the developer (prior to assumption) or from the Town (after assumption). Detached sheds with an area of 10m2 or less do not require a building permit. However, the shed location and height must conform to the Town zoning by-law. If you don’t get the required approvals, you might be required to dismantle unpermitted sheds and decks at your own expense.

The Town permits one accessory apartment in single detached and semi-detached residential units, provided certain criteria, such as sufficient parking spaces and municipal servicing, are satisfied. In addition, apartments must be located at least 50 percent above grade (i.e. basement apartments are prohibited). In order to understand all applicable regulations and policies, it is important to consult with the Town prior to establishing an accessory apartment. All accessory apartments must be registered and inspected by the Town. This ensures that proposed apartments meet health, safety and zoning requirements under the building code, fire code, zoning by-law and property standards by-law. Registering two-unit names also provides critical information to emergency services trying to locate an apartment in the event of an emergency.

The developer is responsible for the installation of street trees. The species and locations of the tree are determined by the Town. Planting takes place in the spring or fall after the sod has been laid by the builder. The spacing and location of the trees vary and not every lot will receive a municipal street tree. For street tree issues that cannot be addressed by the developer you can contact the Town’s Parks branch. 

Homeowners must not alter lot grading without permission from the developer (prior to assumption), or from the Town (after assumption). If you intend on carrying out any approved landscaping or grade alteration, ensure water is not inadvertently directed toward your home’s foundation. Prior to subdivision assumption, issues of improper drainage or water ponding remain the responsibility of the developer. If you need assistance you can call the Town’s development engineering branch.

Sodding of your lot might not be carried out until months after construction of the home to allow the disturbed soil to settle. It may also be delayed due to seasonal planting conditions and availability of sod. Contact your builder to find out when exterior work will be finished.

A professional engineer working on behalf of the developer must certify the final grading of lots to ensure it satisfies the drainage plan approved by the Town. This certification takes place after the property has been graded and sodded.

You are not permitted to place landscaping or other features on Town lands and you will be required to remove these at your own expense.

Developers usually install acoustic fencing and corner lot screen fencing where required for noise attenuation. Additional fencing is installed by the developer to delineate public areas such as parks, walkways, natural areas and in some instances storm water management ponds.
Fencing on individual properties is not mandatory and may be done at the discretion and cost of the property owner. The homeowner should coordinate with the builder to ensure that the grading is complete and that there are no unresolved drainage issues. A permit is not required for property fencing, although it must conform to Town by-laws. The Town’s bylaws and licensing branch can provide information on height and approved materials. The Town does not get involved in cost-sharing or property line disputes.